Thursday, June 28, 2012

First Day: Lima, Peru


June 27
I am spending the day in Peru's capital city of Lima, near the Pacific coast, and traveling tomorrow to Iquitos where I meet the rest of the group. Even though they are in the same country, they are very different places. Lima is a huge sprawling city where it hardly ever rains, home to over 8 million people (the size of New York City), while Iquitos (half the size of Lawrence) is in the middle of the rainforest, the largest city in the world you cannot drive to by car. The only access to the world outside is by plane or boat.

I am practicing my espanol, especially "no gracias" to the many people trying to sell tourist maps or change foreign money on the street, my blond hair makes it hard to blend in with the locals.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment